Thursday, September 17, 2009

yo estoy aqui

Here's a map of where I am at the moment. Because I'm sure none of you ran to your family atlas to consult where Puerto Lopez is. Unless you're my Dad.


Puerto Lopez is in between Manta and La Libertad on the map.

Speaking of my Dad, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Today I started one of the classes by teaching the kids the "Happy Birthday" song in honor of mi papá. You are the best, Dad!!

The last few days have been wonderful. I'm really getting into a nice little rhythm. I teach until 12, eat lunch, then take a bus to Puerto Lopez. The buses here are so funny. Only in South America will you have a bus that costs 50 cents to take you ten minutes, blares 1990's techno music while displaying pictures of the Virgin Mary and signs that say "Christ lives here." It's awesome.

In Puerto Lopez, I basically just do whatever needs to be done at this tour agency, Machalilla Tours. The people that work here are so nice, and business is slow in the afternoon, especially at this time of year, so right now I'm just translating stuff.

Teaching English has been going well. I totally have a new found respect for language teachers. I'm nowhere near professional at this, and since I only am working with kids for about an hour a day for a couple days a week for two weeks, it's obvious I won't be able to really teach them to speak fluently. I would love to do this for longer, but I would definitely need a crash course on being a really effective teacher. The handful of games and techniques I've been using can only last so long!! I'm thinking back to my freshman year high school Spanish class and how much I learned in the first semester...I would love to become the kind of language teacher that could do that!

I'm spending my free time, which at this point is in the late afternoon, with Antonio and Miguel, my host brothers, I guess you could say. Last night, the power went out in all of Puerto Rico and the surrounding towns for about 30 minutes, so we hopped in the family's 30 year-old, falling apart van and blared reggaeton and drove around to entertain ourselves. The van has an ambulance light on top and interior lights that blink different colors, like a disco ball. It was hilarious. The boys are so funny and I like laughing at their jokes, because that means I understand them! Haha.

That's all! Miss everyone a ton. Un beso!

No comments:

Post a Comment