Friday, September 25, 2009

viva el barrio mercedes!!

Wednesday night I got to experience something wonderfully Ecuadorian. September, 23rd is the day of celebration for the saint Mercedes, a saint for which a barrio (neighborhood) in Puerto lopez is named. Apparently every year the celebration, no matter what day of the week it falls on, goes on four hours into the wee morning. And it totally did, the music finally stopped at 4a.m. I’m so glad I went! (though didn’t quite make it until 4am.)

The celebration involved a DJ playing Latin tunes all night, from salsa to merengue, and all the people of the barrio danced and danced. Teens, mothers, grandfathers, everone was out. There was a pageant for the barrio’s queen (where three very uninterested looking teens were the competitors), and awards for various other competitions, like local bike races and volleyball matches. One of the highlights, too, was watching the two scantily-clad go-go dancers dance for hours on end, kind of listlessly and suggestively at the same time. Kind of hilarious.

I myself danced some merengue and salsa…totally not near an expert like the locals of Ecuador, but I had fun nonetheless. The guy I danced salsa with spun me around and around, using all these cool moves…I think by the end of the song, I nailed it.

We were sitting with a great group of people, people from Ecuador, Chile, Columbia, and then the two Americans and Denise, the Canadian. It was a good group of people and we had a lot of fun.

Perhaps one of the night’s highlights: hearing the DJ play a techno version of one of those sad ballads from the Titanic movie, and me saying, perplexed, “I don’t know if I should dance right now or cry.”

On a completely separate note, IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE; I GOT MY DEBIT CARD! I had to go all the way to Portoviejo, 2 hours away, to claim it at the closest DHL agency. Thankfully, Denise went with me and she has a friend there who hung out with us for awhile. We also ate yummy food on the buses that are sold at the stands, including a warm, fresh HUGE banana bread loaf, taffy, cheese empanadas and corviche--an egg-rollish kind of food--fried fish with a plaintain paste thing. So delish. We'll see how my stomach feels in the morning though. Also, the buses continue to be hilarious. Here is a picture of the driver's seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment