
I am living in Puerto Rico, ten minutes by bus from Puerto Lopez. There aren´t many pictures of this town ´cause it´s tiiiiny, but here´s a picture of the beach, where I have been taking many nice strolls.
The family is so wonderful and sweet. It´s Liz, her husband Max and two sons Antonio and Miguel. Her sons are 19 and 20 and are hilarious. They tease one another all the time, and tease me a lot too, blaming everything on me when their mom yells at them. The meals have been wonderful and my room is cozy and comfortable! Their house is pretty rustic, as is the rest of Puerto Rico, but they live very comfortably. The house is made of cement and bamboo, and my room is on the top floor where all the volunteers live (although now it´s only me). I have to climb up these crazy spiral stairs to get to my room, and it´s all the way in the back of the house with bamboo walls and a mosquito net. It´s very cozy. At night, it´s been raining, and the rain puts me to sleep, while in the morning, roosters awake me. There is no hot water, but I am getting used to it, because I have been showering mid-day, where it´s been not terribly hot, but warmer than in the day or night. Meals have been eggs and toast for breakfast (and peanut butter today!!) and lots of rice, soup, chicken and seafood for lunch and dinner. Deeeee-lish.
Liz is, I swear, the most popular woman around. She knows everyone in Puerto Rico and Puerto Lopez, and all the other tiny towns around here. Everyone knows her as the woman who always has volunteers, so when people ask me where I´m from, the next thing they ask me is if I´m staying with Liz. Everyone is so friendly in these two towns, and the pace of life is slow and wonderful. Liz has told me several times to relájate! relax! Hahaha....
Today I started teaching English to kids. I will do this every morning from 8am until 12. I kind of have no idea what I´m doing, but I think I´ll be okay. At this point, any English instruction for these kids is good. With the older kids I think I´ll be able to get into grammar and stories because they are quicker to learn, while with the little kids, I just have to do the basics. And pronunciation especially! They are adorbs.
Today I also began helping Liz´s friend, Fausto, with his tour agency Machalilla Tours in Puerto Lopez. I arrived at his agency and said, Put me to work! So he did. I´m helping to translate his web site into English and help with any English-speaking tourists that may pass through. It´s really fun and easy, and he is so nice. He´s letting me use his internet for free and I will also be able to take some tours for free!
That´s all for today. There will be much more to report, and photos to show. I hope you all are well!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment