I arrived in Viña del Mar, Chile yesterday morning! (I had a wonderful overnight flight where I had one of those exit row seats with no seat in front of me--I was stretching out my legs so far that my butt was off the seat and I think the couple next to me wanted to kill me). I spent the early morning walking around on my own...Viña is quite lovely....shady, tree-lined avenues, wide streets and wide sidewalks, bike paths and big mansions ...it kind of reminds me of an East Coast city suburb or even parts of D.C. itself. Maybe also because it was chilly (they're just coming out of winter) so people around me were all bundled up, so maybe that's why in clued me in to D.C. Anyway, it's pretty here. And it's right on the beach, so that's a plus.
I spent the morning shopping and buying some nice clothes, because all I brought was travel, backpack-y things and since I'm starting a journalism internship on Tuesday, I thought it would be appropriate to buy some grown-up stuff. I'm very excited for the journalism internship....I don't know much about what I'll be doing, except that the newspaper is called VmasV (www.vmasv.cl) and I believe it's a new, independent publication. So far I haven't seen it being sold anywhere, so it may just be an online deal. We will see!
I also met one of my roommates, her name is Lauren and she's from Santa Rose, CA. The other guy apparently (he was gone this weekend, haven't seen him yet) is from L.A. So we're reppin' California. Lauren's great and we spent the afternoon watching a big football (soccer) game at a bar down the street, drinking pisco sours and chit-chatting. I'm excited to be here!
No comments:
Post a Comment