Tuesday, October 27, 2009

VmasV

Internship update!

Besides the handful of articles I write everyday for the website from news I aggregate from other sites, I have written two articles for print in the VmasV paper.

The first one was about tribute bands in the Quinta Región of Chile, where Viña del Mar is located. Tribute bands are really huge here, for a lot of reasons...it's a way to pay homage to favorite "gringo" bands, like Pink Floyd, Metallica, Nirvana, etc etc...but, according to some the people I interviewed, it's the most surefire way to make money playing music. Here are some pictures of one of the interviews.


The other article was about the Viña del Mar women's soccer club, which just returned from their first international tournament in Brazil, where all the number one women's clubs from all the South American countries went to play. The Viña team, Evertons, came in 4th place...not bad for a team that's only a couple of years old! I was interested to do this article because women's soccer is sooooo under appreciated compared to the celebrity-status of all men's leagues...here is an image of the soccer players from a video I took...the video is too large to load to the blog.

Both articles proved extremely challenging to write...I found myself understanding all the interviews, but when it came to transcribing the recordings and formulate my thoughts from Spanish to English back to Spanish..it was super hard! Needless to say, the editors did their work and edited my articles, but what you see is the outline of what I wrote. If I were staying here longer (wish I were!!) I think I could get better at the whole thing. But it's been a great experience!

Here are the two articles:
Everton
Tribute Bands

ALSO, today marks HALFWAY through my trip!! I can't believe it. Time certainly flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment